I have bathed, eaten, and napped today. Aside from walking the dog, I have not accomplished much. If I knew that most people or even many people had not even left their house, I would probably feel better about myself. But I suppose there will always be someone I can compare myself with when I'm determined to feel bad about myself. Which brings me to something I've been mulling over for a few days, filling in the blanks.
Filling in the blanks is what happens when I see a person walking down the sidewalk with a yoga mat. I assume they have their shit together in spades and I get frustrated with everything they are that I am not. I don't know a thing about them but I take that snapshot of them walking down the sidewalk and slide it in the self-recriminating section of my mental wallet. Same thing during encounters with couples. Even if I know enough about them to wonder how it works, I still ascribe to them some quality that eludes me and all the happiness a heart could hold. I can even envy a friend of mine who is working through a painful separation likely to end in divorce for at least managing to get married. Or a girl walking down the street looking cute and put together for making an effort and enduring some small suffering, a cold head, less comfortable feet, to look nice. I can fill in the most innocuous observations; if I made it into a drinking game, I would never be sober.
I have shied away from determinations and resolutions this year but I have been making a semi-conscious effort to stop assuming everyone has some slice of the life I want for myself. To reflexively denigrate who I am and what is great about me because of what I am not. I just watched a movie where a guy realizes his rival never had the life he envied. Truer words were never written. I used to interview people interested in applying for my old career field and I always led with the things that sucked about the job. When people saw us, it was always for that 1/10 of the time we seemed to be doing something exciting or cool. They didn't see the remaining 9/10 of report writing, meetings, lawyers, evidence collection, autopsy, trash covers and all the other spade work that came before and after the 30 minutes of actual cool stuff.
Today I walked the dog on a bright sunny day in record breaking snow. We encountered an awesome fort, complete with a cardboard flag. The snow was powdery and my old combat boots were warm. I talked with friends, had a yummy lunch and a lovely nap. I am clean. Large swaths of my house are clean. I am going to see if I can set up a mini-tripod to get a picture of me and Baloo at the fort. I'll bet at least one person who sees us will wish they had my life.
5 comments:
You know, I do the same thing. I think it is natural to see in others what you want out of or for yourself. Unless you are in an especially cynical mood (which I am quite often) and you do the opposite. Just so you know Ava, I see many things in you that I am jealous of... one being the fact that you have the dedication and continuing motivation to blog so much and so well. It is hard for me to blog that much, I have to be "in the mood" for it I guess. So be happy, as dumb as that sounds, sometimes you just have to decide to do it. I am especially jealous that you got to go on a walk and see a sweet fort, I am stuck at work for 24 hours....
(and the fact that you have old combat boots makes you friggin awesome....I'm just sayin)
MP; I agree, sometimes you have to decide to be happy. Bummer on the 12 hour shift. Hopefully you have a TV nearby so you can at least enjoy the game. You are just so darn encouraging I don't know what to do with you. I too blog as it moves me. It is difficult for me to sit down and just make myself write. But when something is bubbling up in me it's like I have to write with the urgency of someone who needs a restroom. Forgive the crude analogy.
Good luck with work and thanks again for encouraging comments and for stopping by.
I am only so encouraging since it encourages me to encourage you (yes that just happened). I actually,... really like your analogy, it is right on point. I guess you just have to pee more often than I do... hehe
I laughed out loud at your last sentence.
Then I consider myself a God among mere mortals... or something really really BA (that's Bad Ass in case you didn't know... I shortened it...)
Post a Comment