I had a completely different post in mind when I fired up this computer two Tylenol and several hours ago. A post about a guy I could see myself with in a parallel universe. It would either be the most amazing thing that ever happened for both of us or a profound disappointment. But it's not a universe I have to consider, I can just soak up how much he celebrates Ava being Ava and indulge in the occasional daydream when I feel otherwise unwanted.
But instead I'm replaying a reel from bad decision theater of a conversation I just had with a guy I haven't spoken to in 6 years, who was never a friend or a romantic interest, who I in fact found insufferable. That guy, I invited to sleep over at my house for Christmas eve. Jamie Foxx can blame it on the alcohol, I blame it on the terrible headache and the Tylenol. This is the kind of guy who reminds you of his PhD--no he's the guy who actually did mention his PhD during our conversation. He asked if I ever visited New York and when I said I did, asked why I never called when I was there. I told him I didn't have his number nor would I have thought to ask for it, so unless I was supposed to just stand in the street and scream his name, that's why he wasn't aware I was in town. He laughed. He asked about my relationship status but I don't think that's where he's going with this weirdness even though he commented that it was good news I wasn't married, engaged or otherwise attached. (By the way, who says it's good news that you are all alone?) I think he's just trying to visit Philly on the cheap and remembered I was here.
Today I will try to undo last night's mistakes and withdraw the invite. Not because I don't want him to stay. I'm very interested in the story he will bring. He is an interesting and unexpected twist in the sitcom that is my life and I want to see that story play through. It's just too much for this particular week. My house is chaos, my work is chaos, and I am tired.
This is a weird week. I just saw a man in the park wearing yellow socks and black middle aged lady pumps, sitting on the bench sipping his mountain dew. It's possible he is homeless though most have gone to ground during this cold holiday season but he looked otherwise normal until you got to his feet. This has definitely been a weird week.
No comments:
Post a Comment