Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A-hole friend

Absolutely everyone needs one of these people. Someone who lets you know just how much trouble something is, not one to make great sacrifice or extend themselves beyond what is convenient for them. These are people I trust in a weird way. I feel confident whatever I get from them is given freely.

So I found out my procedure will involve sedation instead of a little local anesthetic as I had hoped so I will not be able to drive myself home and for a reason that probably has its origins in a very unfortunate incident, hospital regulations forbid me from catching a taxi home. I had a ride lined up but the procedure unfortunately ended up being scheduled while they are out of town so I decided to ask my friend Maybe.

Naturally, he wasn't sure at first and I told him I really didn't need him to be unsure, he could just say no and be sure. As sure as he was my plan B, I had a plan C. He works from home, btw. He decided I was worth missing the weekly sales call if it came to that and then asked me in typical Maybe fashion if it was only a drop off or was I going to need other things like food or something. I assured him no more would be required of him beyond pushing me out of his still moving car. He was relieved and said they had just helped one of their other friends and it was a huge pain in the ass. It will be nice to share this event with him. He's a good guy, he just has absolutely no tact. That's part of why I love him. It's nice to know what's on a person's mind for real.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a great attitude about those kinds of friends.

Terog said...

It's a weird friendship but the communication is refreshingly blunt. We both believe what we believe but aren't invested in whether the other agrees. He's an atheist, wants kids more to pass on his DNA than for the experience of being a father, has all kinds of contrarian positions on things that I think are just plain stupid but I think we're interesting to one another. I don't really have a collection of friends like that. He's really the only one of his kind. With something like this, where I'm working extra hard to keep things in perspective and not borrow someone else's concern, he's the absolute perfect man for the job because he is like a parent who acts unconcerned when a kid falls so the kid doesn't feed off their hysteria and get freaked out because everyone else seems to be freaking out. He'll actually do whatever he can but he'll caveat it or ask how long it will take...stuff that people in need don't care to hear but will be good for me because this isn't a big deal really.

Lodo Grdzak said...

You want unconditional love? Get a dog! But seriously, come correct M!