Late Night with Conan O'Brian aired their final show last night. Like many, I started watching Conan in the 90's and thought he and Andy were the funniest people on late night. Even then, I wondered why he wasn't the host of the tonight show since he was (in my mind) clearly funnier than Jay or Letterman. There is something about him (and Jimmy Fallon) that just seems more earnest and genuine. Like they are/were genuinely happy to be on television, they appreciate the people they work with, and they want to share with the world the things that make them laugh, not just churn out the same old thing. I guess Conan in my mind wasn't one of the usual suspects, the type of person you normally see on TV. He was just funny. His speech last night was touching and his exit last night was funny, poignant, and classy. I'll bet one of the best things about the unfortunate circumstances of the last few weeks for him was the opportunity to hear how many of us thought he was great. It's the closest a person can get perhaps to hearing their own eulogy.
I will say though that Will Ferrell needs to dig deeper, he's becoming a one note song and just isn't funny anymore. He's gone the way of Robin Williams. Both men are probably funny in person but usually painful and tedious to watch on TV. I hate it when you know what's coming. The same shtick. But Conan, since I know you are reading this blog as you have everyday since I started, thanks for working hard and being nice, for making me laugh, for laughing at yourself, for being principled, and for leaving us wanting more. Can't wait to see what you do next.
2 comments:
Conan already goes down in history as a TV legend for The Simpsons. In comedy, there's no place to go from there. Far as I'm concerned, Tonight Show was a step down for him. Get your ass back to NY Conan!
I agree. He was a writer for SNL as well. I respect him even more for emerging out of the writing world.
Post a Comment